After a trip to this stunning region full of kind people and delicious wines, we can finally report on it! This podcast is like the 101 post I did on the region, so you can cross reference if you missed anything!
To understand this region, you’ve got to get into a serious dork out mode because the story of how vinifera grapes can grow in this cold place goes all the way back to the glaciers! So briefly, in this podcast we cover:
1. The importance of the Lake Effect and how depth matters to grape growing
2. Weather and what that can do to a vine
3. Grapes and how Riesling is a goddess in the Finger Lakes, and unlike Riesling anywhere else
4. Glaciers, soils, and other nerdy earth-science stuff that relates to grape growing here.
5. History of the region and preview of the soon-to-be-released podcast with Fred Frank, grandson of the pioneer of east coast vinifera winemaking, Dr. Konstantin Frank
6. How to get these wines
After you hear this you’re definitely going to want to get your hands on these wines or visit the region. A great story, and a fascinating region! Enjoy!